Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On the gifts of the universe and other chismes

I have to wonder if it is the same for journalists as it can be for community historians. You never know what will end up on your front porch, wanting to become a part of your work.
I was reminded of this at least twice last week.
The first serving was offered by producer/director Walter Dominguez who has a unique connection with Pasadena. In addition to his own history with Pasadena - his grandfather was a minister at "El Buen Samaritano" the Methodist Church that was in East Pasadena. He has been very generous in sharing information and images.
Last week I was also contacted by Sergio Lopez whose father was involved with Danzon Supper Club, situated in what we now know as Old Pasadena. The photos he shared show the space in before and after pictures, as well as when it was filled with patrons. The poster to the left is a partial image of a poster that was advertising an upcoming show. He refers to his dad as "a photo buff of a sort. And with the publicity needed to keep the stuff going they took alot of film".
I look forward to learning more about his family and their experiences in the city.
And here I had planned to end the year with lightness and ducks. I find their plasticity charming.
And they make me laugh. Come on now, a duck dressed up like a snowman or a reindeer is just plain silly.
But it turns out that the storyteller is what I need to keep my eye on as the year ends and as the new year begins. It seems the universe will not have it any other way.

Shalom to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment