Friday, May 11, 2012

Grand, just grand.

There's a lot of good work that takes place in any town.  People are willing to help each other and often are more than willing to help those who travel in very different circles.  Talents are shared, volunteer hours accrue, and in Pasadena, houses are made ready.  

Last week I was volunteering my time and energy prepping for AIDS Service Center - BIG WEEK OUT Gala Reception.  I love to donate talent and time to this organization because of the work that it does and because their events are always is so much fun!  Their last event will take place tomorrow.
While taking a break I came to converse, or as my buddy Gary calls it - had a good chin wag, with this fellow.  We were at the Robinson House - a classic Greene and Greene gem.  We talked about some of the history near the Ninth Circuit Court and the areas deep Pasadena roots.  The home of the first folks to come from the midwest; folks with last names like Berry, Elliott, Graham, Clapp and so on.  It also happens to be the area where Arturo Bandini, son of Secretary of State to Pio Pico, and Helen Elliott, founder Elliott's daughter were married.

We chatted away while he went on with his work.
It was in the course of conversation he shared that this was his home.  He and his wife had a passion for gardens and thoroughly enjoyed the history of their home and of the area.  You can see some of their vision and a teeny bit of their work in the top picture.  It was hard to choose a picture to choose for this piece.  Everywhere I shot was beautiful. Really, every direction.  And so much xeriscaping.  It was a challenge to choose one shot.
What was most challenging to capture was the vista from the arroyo side of their home.  I kept trying but try as I might I could only get a bit at a time.  And all pictures gave a sense of space, but not of the flow of the landscaping or the feeling of serenity that wafted all about.
As I was getting ready to write this post I was trying to think of some clever way of connecting the expanse of the vista with the generosity of our host.  Couldn't do it without having it feel very artificial. Doing that wouldn't really recognize that this was a person with a beautiful home, who saw a way to help others, and was willing to add his own sweat equity in the deal.  

How grand is that?

6 comments:

  1. Why I want to belong to the 1%. Yes, shallow of me BUT that is an infinity pool overlooking the arroyo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd be as generous as the folks who live there. They know what they have is special and have supported other organizations that need help.
      What I really couldn't capture was the sense of serenity that was a result of the care given the property. I've been other places that were mighty, some along the arroyo, but few felt so calm.

      Delete
  2. That is grand indeed. I'm with PA, I'd be happy to belong to the 1%. I promise to be a giver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I could...but if, if that were the case, there are some great ideas here. They had great xeriscaping and even though it was clear the landscaping had been planned it was full of natural aspects. Little berms and lots of flowing lines throughout. What a place of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were there? I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Living in a city like Pasadena can be amazing when it comes to sites where fundraisers take place.

    ReplyDelete