Thursday, June 17, 2010

Eureka - it's materteral!

I like the word avuncular. We use it when think of someone as being "like an uncle". Perhaps it might be used when a fellow has offered a little extra care or wisdom in a given setting. Or shown an extra bit of kindness or bluntness to help a younger person. Think of Walter Cronkite or your favorite older high school teacher.

I like to think I, and other women my age, are also capable of such efforts. Fact is I think we do it on a fairly regular, if not daily basis. I have been unsuccessful in finding a female comparable - until today.

I was sooo surprised to gain this knowledge that my eyes turned green. But it was no longer because of envy. Or perhaps they changed color because of the hours I've spent before a computer screen. Whatever the reason - I 've learned that materteral is our auntly word.

"And that's the way it is".

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I love this. (Photo and commentary.)

    Oh! Unbelievable. My word verification is "wally."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that word! I'm going to start using it. But I might need a note on pronunciation. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. It is so exciting that we have our own word!
    Since it is so rarely used, do check up on pronunciation, but be comforted by the fact that virtually no one will be able to correct you.

    ReplyDelete