Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Fallin' Up"

I was introduced to Taboo of the Black Eyed Peas via a most unexpected route.

The first step of the intro was via Mayor Bill Bogaard. Some of you may not know who Taboo is - I didn't know before the Mayor told me about him. He is a member of the Black Eye Peas: they performed at half time at the Super Bowl. So you can see why I was a bit surprised about the introduction.

The second step was via Lucy Rivero pictured here with Taboo. Some of you may be familiar with Lucy; she regularly uses her translation skills at both Pasadena City Council meetings and PUSD meetings. Lucy is also active in the Latino community and has served as Emcee at our parade & jamaicas.

There were a couple of us that joined Lucy, providing tech support, as she interviewed Taboo this past Friday. I wasn't sure what to expect before we spent time with him. I can be pretty old school about a lot of things.

Taboo was a charming, grounded, and kind fellow. He was polite, very frank about the nadir of his life as well as his connections with his family and his roots. I have to admit that Nana in me felt proud of his being frank about his negative experiences and his plans for the future. I have to admire a man who shares that he hopes his negative experiences may be an example of what not to do and that his years of sobriety serve as an example of what one can do. Si se puede - change can take place - it can be done. Of looking for and working toward the more positive things in one's life.

Taboo will be at Vroman's on February 20th @ 1:00 to sign his book Fallin' Up. I look forward to hearing him share his story of "positivity".

http://www.vromansbookstore.com/taboo
http://www.blackeyedpeas.com/

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for him. He gets to experience his fantastic career to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete