Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's History Day

Because I'm a historian my go-to mode is to look at historical pictures when the name of the day includes the word "history". Choosing the image can be the challenge.

Perhaps I'll choose an image of a strong local leader like Dr. Edna Griffin, who was was a Civil Rights leader in the Altadena/Pasadena area and a president of the Pasadena NAACP.

Or perhaps an image of any of the women who are included in Elizabeth "Betita" Martínez' "500 Years of Chicana Women's History". I could choose from labor leaders, youth organizers, artists, environmentalists, cannery workers and more from that volume.

This year I find myself in other than go-to mode. This year I want to write about my wishes for the future for "my girls". I want them to have positive role models, to know that there are women who have preceded them who have helped shape our world, and they, too, can make a difference when they become adults.

I want them to know that they are a part of a sisterhood that is profoundly diverse. I hope that their work will be fulfilling and that they will enjoy the love of another that is deep and long lasting. I hope that they realize, somewhere in their lifetime, that they are part of history, too.

May they partake in a future that is of their making, that supports the work of women 'round the world, and that is built on the strengths of those that came before. May they see that by doing so they are a part of a chain of women who make our world a bit better for the lives they've led.

I offer this wish for all "our girls" - especially today.

500 Years of Chicana Women's History - http://rutgerspress.rutgers.edu/acatalog/500_years.html

No comments:

Post a Comment