Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May graduates

The first week of May was filled with events that had to do with Cinco de mayo.  In part because of recent work by Dr. David Hayes-Bautista.  His work, El Cinco de Mayo, An American Tradition, recently published by University of California Press, adresses a question that often comes up every year.  Why is Cinco de Mayo so widely celebrated in the United States of America, but not in the Los Estados Unidos de México?

I was thinking about how this new scholarship will change the way folks will think about things.  Having voices, audible or literary, that share insights makes all the difference.  

I was helped by Mr. Urquidez, as I attended the graduation of friends at Claremont Graduate University.  He shared that he graduated the year before.  I didn't have the mental wherewithal to ask him the level of his degree or the field he studied.  So I'm left wondering what might be his contributions?  Has he an M.A in music or astrophysics?  Is he a Shakespearian scholar?  I may never know.  But I wonder.
And then I see these images of my friends and colleagues who are beginning the next leg of their academic journey.  I'm happy for their accomplishment and hopeful because of the contributions they'll make in the future and how that will have people thinking about different aspects of their lives.

Otoño Luján
Peter F. Drucker and Masatoshi Ito Graduate School of Management

Executive Masters in Business Administration, 

Masters in Arts Management



John J. Macias, Ph.D.
School of Arts and Humanities

Banner Carrier
Dissertation: Of Spanish Myths and Mexican Realities: 
Social and Racial development in San Gabriel, California, 1771-1971


Daisy Chilin

University of Southern California
Sol Price School of Public Policy
Master of Public Administration

No comments:

Post a Comment