Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chain, chain, chain


It seems that everyday after Thanskgiving now has a color associated with it.  Black, White, Grey.  There other words, too. Cyber, madness, frenzy.  
Not for me.  
Lula Mae, 100 N. Fair Oaks, Pasadena, CA 91103
I prefer to shop locally whenever possible.  

Arroyo Arts Collective  Discovery Tour, Karen Hovanitz, 

I also like to shop at places where I can buy fair trade or where artisans are involved.  I'm able to get one-of-a-kind items for my one-of-a-kind kith and kin.

Tropico de Nopal, Caracol Market
I support them and they are able to better support their community.  It's a different sort of chain, that. 

Another thing about shopping locally.  Late September while in Altadena Hardware I bumped into the owner of Merit Cleaners.  She asked if I "...remembered that I had a dress to pick up"?  It had been some time since I'd left it, so I was really glad for the reminder.  

Merit Dry Cleaners, Altadena 91001
When would that have happened at a big chain store?




2 comments:

  1. I love Merit Cleaners. We haven't lived in Altadena since 2003, but we still use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They, like Altadena Hardware, Daz E Shop, Webster's Community Pharmacy, and Webster's Fine Stationers get a good deal of our business. Heading up Lake happens a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete